2018 Infiniti Q60S 3.0t Long-Term Update 2 Review

Even a few months and 5,000 miles into my year with the Q60, I’m still checking out all it has to offer. But one thing that jumped out at me almost immediately, that I frankly find perplexing, is the poor resolution of the Infiniti’s cameras.

It’s odd because Infiniti really moved the needle on this kind of technology in 2007 with its awesome Around View Monitor multi-camera system that still impresses to this day. So it’s disappointing to see this high-powered graphic display with a subpar image. In daylight the vehicle’s cameras are pretty good and get the job done, but at night they’re awful, bordering on pointless. Usually a vehicle’s rear lights help illuminate the area behind the car enough for the camera to get a good image, but not with the Q60. Maybe the rear design doesn’t focus the light where it needs to be, but images from the rear and side monitors oftentimes appear pitch black.

Also, the screen seems to be an older-generation model; I’ve seen better screens in vehicles decidedly not in the luxury segment. For example, the Chrysler Pacifica and Volkswagen Atlas have beautifully crisp and vibrant screens, and their images really pop.

Maybe I’m spoiled, but I don’t think an Infiniti owner should be jealous of a minivan driver when it comes to elegance and presentation.

Despite the resolution, the addition of a side camera helps keep the tires free from curb scuff, and the front cam stops me from scraping the bumper on parking bumps, a real concern with such a low-sitting car. For those, I’m grateful. By the way, I predict forward cameras are an emerging front in the infotainment arms race. Why they aren’t in all trucks is a real safety miss, but I digress.

Now, a note about the Q60’s color since one or two readers have disputed my calling the Q60 “bluish.”  Infiniti lists the official color as Hagane Blue. So that argument is over quicker than a Mike Tyson fight in the late ’80s. Additionally,  a quick search from this gaijin shows hagane is Japanese for steel, making the Q60s official color “Blue Steel.” Lifestyle-wise this changes everything. I expect now I’ll be taking the Infiniti on coffee runs for my daily fix of Orange Mocha Frappucinnos and the occasional gasoline fight with my crew. Just don’t ask me about my Magnum, because I don’t think Dodge even makes those anymore.

And to the readers who doubted my ability to distinguish one color from another … thank you for reading.

Read more about our long-term 2018 Infiniti Q60S 3.0t:

The post 2018 Infiniti Q60S 3.0t Long-Term Update 2 Review appeared first on Motor Trend.



from Motor Trend https://ift.tt/2PhSUoz

No comments:

Post a Comment